Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Super System

Starting Bankroll: $2.93
Buy-in: $1.00
Cash-out: $1.82
Session: $0.82 win
Finishing Bankroll: $3.75

So it's was Saturday afternoon (I'm posting this way after the fact). And I find myself at the mall with my finace. We have an upcoming wedding to attend so she wanted to pick up something to wear. I have an aversion to shopping so I headed to Chapters which I use as a public library.

I wandered over to the "Fun and Games" section which should be now more appropriately refered to as "The Poker and Sodoku" section and grabbed a copy of Doyle Brunson's "Super System." I've never read this book but have heard many times it was a must-read. So, with the poker bible in hand I headed for a quiet corner.

Although Brunson is the author of "Super System", some of the chapters were written by other players. Since I've been playing a lot of limit, I flipped to Bobby "The Owl" Baldwin's chapter on limit hold'em. The chapter was written in a very informal, almost conversational style. I was particularily interested in Baldwin's thoughts on starting hand selection. Not just in regards to position, but in regards to how many players were in the pot. Normally, I would have thrown away small-medium suited connectors in mid-late position if there was a lot of action before me, figuring someone's got a monster. However, this isn't neccesarily correct as having a lot of callers gives you the right pot-odds to see the flop. Should the flop hit you like a on of bricks, you know it's missed all the monsters.

I look forward to getting my hands on this book. It has a nice bibley feel to it and would be a nice addition to my poker reference library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home